Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 2:59 PM
Subject: IML: Tire Expiration Dates

There is an article in the Wall Street Journal today stating that Ford Motor Company is saying that tires have a life expectancy of 6 years and should be replaced after that time interval. DaimlerChrysler AG apparently has been saying this with their Mercedes models for some time and just started recommending it with their 2005 Chrysler models. Other manufacturers aren't as sure and as always, there are two sides to the issue.

Those of us with Imperials that don't get driven very often may need to at least consider this point of view. The tires on my 67 Convertible look practically new and probably have less than 5,000 miles on them, but when I checked the sales slip I realized that I bought them in 1988! That means that these guys are about 17 years old. Other old car collectors tell me they are changing their tires every ten years or so, worn out or not. I'm beginning to think that there is something to this.

Any thoughts?

Ken Miller
61 and 67 Converts (that get driven a few hundred miles a year)