RE: IML: Tire Expiration Dates

I think this depends very strongly on the quality of the tires, and how the
tires are kept when they are not in use.  In my case, I keep my cars in an
enclosed building, so the tires are never exposed to sunlight except when
they are on the road.  Also, since I live very far from any city, the air is
free of any oxidants.  The result is that tires appear to be just like new
for many years.

As an example, I sold my 67 Convertible last year with the Michelins on it
that I had bought in 1980!  They still looked and drove perfectly, with
about 15,000 miles on them.  I told the buyer that the tires were over 20
years old, and that he should plan on replacing them immediately, but so far
he has not done so, and is using the car as a daily driver.

On my 1947 Packard limousine, I bought it a set of new Lester tires in 1969,
and they still looked perfect as late as 1990, but since we were about to
take an extended tour of the Pacific Northwest in the car(which weighs
almost 7000 pounds!), I replaced those tires with a new set at that time.
The old (1969) tires are now on a parts car, and they still look new!  I
don't think I'd trust them because I can't tell how sturdy the cords are,
but there is certainly no sign of age cracking on the sides of the tires.

I think if I were riding the freeways at the local average speed of 85MPH on
a daily basis, I'd replace my tires every 10 years or so, regardless of
appearance, and I'd also stick with Michelins.

As I've mentioned before, during my college days (1952-1956) I worked a
summer job in a recap plant, preparing used tires for processing by grinding
off the old tread, and also inspecting the casings for signs of age cracks
or other possible problems.  There were enormous differences in brand
quality - the best tire brand (Firestone in those ancient days) never showed
any sign of age cracks, and the worst brand (U. S. Royal in those days)
looked terrible when only a couple of years old (there is a date code on
tires, and it has been on there since at least the 50s) - we never recapped
some brands (Atlas, US Royal, General) because of the high incidence of
failures.  Most of the other brands were somewhere in the middle, it was up
to me to decide what was going to be a good product.

I have a set of original tires for my 55 Packard, Firestone "gum dipped"
820X15 wide whites, which still look brand new, 50 years old!  I wouldn't
drive around the block on them, but they sure look good.

Dick Benjamin