Re: IML: Tire Expiration Dates - don't delay if in doubt!

Re: IML: Tire Expiration Dates - don't delay if in doubt!

sure would have liked to have been able to go to the chattanooga meet. but im sorry i didnt make it. maybe next year i will get mine up and running.

im replying to this post because, during the weekend me and my wife had our 10 year wedding aniversary, thats right it's been 10 years now .hard to believe how fast the years go by. but anyway just before my wife had reminded me about our weekend together, I was planing on attending the chattanooga meet, and I was rushing to get my 59 imperial pieced back together enough to take the trip, and to be honest the issue of the tires never crossed my mind. at that time, so lucky me I didnt try to take my car as im now sure I would be stranded somewhere.

I have had a bad experience with old tires in the past , on an old camper that I used to take on trips to the mountains and while pulling that trailer up a 6% grade the tire came apart just like a retread tire, ( the tread had pealed off) causing the tire to go flat , and I was just remembering about how much trouble it was to hafta pull over on the sholder of the road and jack up the camper and change the tire, luckily I was prepared and had 2 spares , floorjack and large blocks of wood to scotch the wheels with,

the camper wouldnt have been as much of a loss as compared to my 59 imperial, I can buy a new camper anywhere, but not a 59 imperial.

besides that, I have heard that only about 2 inches of tread on each tire is the only amount of rubber that ever contacts the road and if that 2 inches is damaged or to old to hold a car as heavy as a imperial on the road anymore, than it makes perfect sence to replace them .

I have new tires on my other vehicles, but the only reason I replace the tires on them was because I was tired of airing them up every time I turn around, seems like im one of those that needs things pointed out to my before I wake up  and do the right things for the RIGHT REASON'S!

thanks for the wake up.

Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If in doubt, replace. Brakes, tires, and steering are
all things that are hard to live without on the
freeway, and I've had "old" tires come apart on me
once.

Once was all it took for me and left quite an
impression.

Who's going to pick the date and location of
replacement? You or the component (when it fails)?

Kenyon Wills