Re: IML: Convertible Top Installation

Hi Ken,
   My Brother and I have done 3 convertible tops all
with what I believe to be excellent results.   we did
my 66 imp convert, a 65 Dodge 880 convert and a
lebaron.   Take your time read up on the procedure (I
bought an auto interiors restoration book at Borders
with lots of picts) and I think you will have good
results.   Of course if you are worried about trying
it, it is nic e leaving it in the hands of a pro.
Good luck with whatever you decide!
Jeff

--- Ken Miller <kdmiller44@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

---------------------------------
    My '61 convertible and afriend's '64 convertible
are in need of new tops.  We've found tons ofsuppliers
for the tops so that doesn't look like a problem, but
theinstallation part raises some questions.

Most suppliers say that they "recommend installation
by aprofessional".  I'm sure that would be the easiest
way, but the costswe're being quoted seem awfully
high.  Following the many posts to thelist lately
about doing stuff yourself (with which I
absolutelyagree!), is it all feasible to try to
install a top yourself?  Myfriend and I would be
available to help each other so we would have atwo-man
installation team.

I've read several web sites and the FSM for my 61 and
it appears thatthere really aren't a lot of special
tools required to do this project,just reasonable
mechanical skills and lots of patience.

So, what advice or recommendations does this learned
body have for me?

Ken Miller
61 and 67 Converts
Portland, Oregon