IML: Convertible Top Installation

My '61 convertible and a friend's '64 convertible are in need of new tops.  We've found tons of suppliers for the tops so that doesn't look like a problem, but the installation part raises some questions.

Most suppliers say that they "recommend installation by a professional".  I'm sure that would be the easiest way, but the costs we're being quoted seem awfully high.  Following the many posts to the list lately about doing stuff yourself (with which I absolutely agree!), is it all feasible to try to install a top yourself?  My friend and I would be available to help each other so we would have a two-man installation team.

I've read several web sites and the FSM for my 61 and it appears that there really aren't a lot of special tools required to do this project, just reasonable mechanical skills and lots of patience.

So, what advice or recommendations does this learned body have for me?

Ken Miller
61 and 67 Converts
Portland, Oregon