Re: IML: Why We Collect

I myself simply enjoy the nostalgic qualities my cars possess. There is just something cool about the mid 70's and back automobiles that the later models don't have. They're like a mobile piece of Americana history, not to mention the higher quality materials used in the building of them. It's like drifting back in time to drive around in an old car, especially at night with the elaborate styling of the instrument panel all lit up and the radio tuned in to an oldies staition. We all know Imperials have some of the absolute coolest instrumentation ever with their electroluminescent lighting!  Most of the cars I own currently are in the project phase and I purchased them because 1st I liked the styling, and 2nd because they were a good/great buy. They consist of a 2dr 60 Imperial needing total restoration that I bought at a time in my life when I really couldn't afford any prodject. We were passing by a classics junkyard I talked my wife into stopping just for curiosity's sake to see the restorables they keep along the driveway into the place. $ 1,500 on a credit card and I owned it.  Then there is a 70 Duster in a trade paper a friend calls me to tell me about. At first I'm not interested at all, but then he gives me the number and it's in the same city as me, so I go take a look thinking it's probably a rust bucket . When I arrive, I'm surprised that the car is about 97% rust free and original but has a knock in the engine. I still wasn't going to buy it till the guy said "I hate to just crush it." Then I figured if he had even considered crushing it then he must not be asking very much so I offered $100 and he accepted. Who could pass on a deal like that !  Then comes my daily driver. A practical slant six 66 Valiant wagon simple americana which I traded an 87 nissan of which I had about $300 invested. I cleaned the tank then converted to disk brakes and have been driving it daily for over three years now and finally, a 72 Dodge power wagon retrieved from a local junkyard that handles all my hauling needs.