Re: IML: Why We Collect

Back in a time when cars had their own flavor.. Cadillac's had fins..Buick's portholes,Imperial's Microphone tail lights >you could tell one from another.  In my oldest memories of cars... When I was little my father,a generous and handsome man, loved looking at cars more than actually owning them. I think he took me to see dozens of dealers and private owners. My father was very pleased that I knew all the makes, models, years, etc like a book. This pleased him a great deal having drilled me about it during long car rides. Even as a youngster I equated my families financial well being with our ability to buy cars. I find it strange today to have been concerned by such adult issues but it seems the only way I could get a handle on this was relating it to cars.  Cars have always been central to my life.

As a kid  the sneak peak at the new model year was a joy for me. Anxiously my father and I would tour the dealerships to check out the latest offerings.  My Mom's birthday is in December just before Christmas so my Dad would try to figure out just what to order for a December delivery. At that time I was happy just collecting 1/25th scale models .. most of which I still own. In fact my bedroom was set up like a car showroom display.

But alas youth and time never stand still . By 12 my father had died. and I spent many hours looking at my car brochures.. reading, learning, hoping. By 13 I had my first car. I didn't care that I couldn't drive it, I cared about owning the car and caring for it. By 19 still no license now 6 cars. It went on and on ..Ive owned many many cars.

 I buy what interests me usually be style and quality. Some of what pleased me in my youth are still favorites while others my adult eyes found less interesting today. I collect to keep a bit of that more innocent time alive and to please myself in preserving them and giving a smile to those who remember or a look of surprise on those who never saw such original automobiles on the road.  Im certain if my father was alive today he would be very pleased  that he helped establish a love of automobiles that has lasted a very long time...