Re: IML: Overheating Problem / 1967 Crown 440

Re: IML: Overheating Problem / 1967 Crown 440

The radiator could "appear clear" and still be clogged. You don't state the
mileage on your '67 but time is often the enemy. You also don't state the
conditions when it overheats... Idling in traffic, climbing hills, warm
days, all the time, etc. (By the way, all '67 Imperials are 440s with
identical cooling systems, unless you have a super-rare non-A/C car.)

First I'd pressure-test the radiator cap (or just replace it with the
correct poundage cap). Maintaining the pressure is critical to maintaining
the proper temperature. Then check both hoses, and make sure the lower hose
has the spring inside. Then I'd have the radiator pressure-tested. Should
re-coring the radiator might be called for, it's money well spent (if you
have a good radiator shop, or your mechanic does). While they're at it, you
should flush the block and make sure everything is circulating. And what the
heck, throw on a new (rebuilt) water pump for another $35.

Just occurred to me that I didn't ask what the evidence of overheating is.
Is it boiling over or just showing up high on the gauge? Don't necessarily
trust an old gauge. You can replace the sender on top of the engine fairly
easily, and they're readily available from NAPA or even your dealer.

One aside: If you're only running hot up hills and hear pinging, first
switch your spark plugs from Champions to Autolite #85 plugs (assuming
you're running on Champions). The pinging can cause the car to run hot under
load, and many of us find that Autolites ping (pre-ignite or detonate) more
easily.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

--
Chris in LA
67 Crown