Re: IML: Silicone polishes

For the edification of the group, here is what my painter has to say on the
topic.

Well, I think I have said that opinion will vary.  Here is one from a polish
manufacturer (Meguiars).  Would I say you should wipe your a$$ with
sandpaper if I could increase my commission????

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cfm?faqCat=General%20Questions&faqQuestionID=19&section=_19#_19

Now, as a painter, I am TOTALLY against any silicone products.  There are
enough professional grade products available that will give you the same
results, if not better, if you spend the money, without the silicones.

The crux of the problem on the outside of the car is, of course, regarding
contamination, in the eyes of a painter (or a fish, to be
punny...."fisheyes")...  The process of cleaning off ONE silicone treatment
is not too bad, however, if you get one of these yahoos that waxes every
time they blow a fart near the car, you have a nightmare.  You will note
that in the Meguiars FAQ, they mention that a good painter will use a
fisheye eliminator as a safeguard.  Well, that is mostly bull$hit too (I
guess you will do a paraphrase on this document).  Fisheye eliminators are
silicone-based, believe it or not, and actually further contaminates the
painter's whole environment (read: spray gun), and hence, adding the
possiblility of contamination in EVERY job from here on in.  Not fun.  I
digress....

Another factor to consider is that on non-catalyzed finishes, (lacquer,
acrylic enamel, alkyd,) the film is always "open"  These are finishes
typical of older cars (pre 1980's).  You will remember this type of finish
from the rear of the NYer, under the back glass.  This "open" finish will
accept the silicones applied on it, and they will actually leech into the
layers underneath, and contaminate each of them, right down to the metal at
times.  If you go to refinish this car, not only will there be the risk of
"fisheyes", but long-term detrimental affects are possible, including hazing
of the finish, swelling of the primers, and worst of all, delamination of
the topcoat (YOUR PAINT PEELING OFF!!!)

So, most of my thoughts are biased, as a painter.  I can lead your flocks to
better products, based on my opinion.  If anyone wants
to know of some, I can research that for you all.

As for the Armor All, same story.  I have heard that if you start using it,
you really can't stop.  As the Protectant evaporates, it acts as a wick,
pulling up the natural oils/synthetic components that make your plastics
what they are. This includes color, flexibility, smoothness, etc.  As you
leech out elements of the plastic, you are changing it.  And rarely for the
good.  I have not seen any of this stuff out on the 'Net, but you always see
the feel-good items first.

I hope this is of some use to you.  Like I said, just speaking as a painter.
But I sure love that Armor All on my brake pedal.......

BTW, in almost all products, the silicone is what gives you that "slick"
feeling.  Some of the bodyshop-friendly products just won't have that Teflon
feel to them.  That is usually what people like, but the "slick" has no
other purpose than just that, a tactile thing.

Okay, I have heard the boats and planes and drag thing, and I don't doubt
it.  However, in terms of cleanup, any good finishing glaze will yield
enough of a "barrier" to make things come off well.  BTW, I also know of a
few great lines of cleaning products.  Also for the bodyshop, and they KICK
ASS!

Enough about me.

"Your Painter".....