IML: Transmission Fluid

Hi All,

I just pulled the radiator from my ’67 Crown and had some work done to it.  When I undid the transmission cooling lines, the tranny fluid came out sort of a brownish color.  It didn’t have a burnt smell so I’m just assuming it’s been in there for a very long time. Needless to say I’m draining everything from the tranny and the torque converter to replace it with fresh fluid.  (will also be replacing the filter while the pan is down)

My question is:  Does this tranny need to have Type A fluid only, or will one of the latest versions of Dextron work?

Thanks

Ken

’67 Crown 4 drht

’69 Satellite 2 drht