RE: IML: 18 year anniversary

Kenyon,

That's real very disturbing why tightening those 2 rods stops the crank.
Here are some possibilities:

1) Take the bearings back out of the rods and make sure that there's nothing
between the back of the bearing and the rod (and the cap piece, too).  A
piece of sand or grit can make a world of difference.

2) Check that the caps are on the rods facing the right direction.  Each rod
& cap should be numbered, and the numbers should be on the same end of the
rod.

3) I guess it's possible that your "new" crank is bent.... when you store
crankshafts, always be sure they are stored standing on their back end, not
lying down.  Their very weight will bend them ever-so-slightly.  I know this
is weird -- but go to any place that turns cranks, any machine shop, etc --
you'll always find them stored this way, or hanging from their snout on a
wire.  ALWAYS stored vertically.

4) It's possible that the other rod journals are smaller than this journal
(I know, that's "out there", but still a possibility).  You can go to any
*good* auto supply store and ask for a packet of "Plastigage".  Less than
$1, I'm sure.  You wipe the journal clean; lay on a strip of plastigage; put
on the rod and the cap; torque to specs, then turn right around and remove
it.  Measure out how wide that plastigage strip got smashed by holding the
examples on the package up against it, and it will tell you the clearance
between the bearing and the crank.  You might want to do this twice (yes, it
takes time) at 90-degree angles on the crank.

5) Lubriplate makes some stuff that comes in a tube called "Engine Rebuild
Lube" or something to that effect.  Make sure that during your assembly, you
put plenty of this between the crank and the bearings, but *NONE* between
the back of the bearing and the cap/rod.  It is possible that if you did not
use some stuff like this, those "last 2 rods" are just the strangling point
beyond which the whole assembly becomes too tight to turn.

Anyway -- I would not go any further until you get this resolved, because
lubricant must be present between each bearing and the crank while the
engine's running.  Too little clearance, and you have metal-to-metal
contact, and then you have an engine life measured in minutes.

Hope that helped.... I'm jealous of you having a '62!!!  (:-D)

--Brooks