IML: The Haze Green Era...some alternatives...NOT!

IML: The Haze Green Era...some alternatives...NOT!

Haze Green, Schmaze Green.  Like Hugh said, these are Imperials built during the height of the hippie counter culture era.  Although, I do want to point out that these cars were in fact desired by a few, if not many a hippie, or hippie wanna be (who through  the use of their parents money, in many cases, but not all, avoided the draft and stayed in school far to long and are now lawyers, Dr’s who drive Lexus, etc…), as evidenced in the movie version of HAIR.  There is the scene wherein the “Bad” punks steal another kid’s dad's Lincoln suicide door 'vert for a little "trip".  There was one of many of the musical’s songs that played during an extremely Streisand-esque helicopter swirling around the car shot overview of them flying down the highway, Lincoln’s top down, hair blowing in the wind in that car.  You just KNOW those kids were glad it was not a Volvo whatever model it was that looked like something American but smaller out of the 40's.  Not all hippies were dirt poor, but many people followed the fashion trends set by it, and kept their creature comforts.  I would not mind finding a cool vintage Nehru Jacket to wear while driving Doris down the country roads.

Now, if we, pardon me, if I really want to raise ’67-’68 and forward year owners blood pressure, which I do NOT want to do – all in good fun people, all in good fun!  We ALL own IMPERIALS not matter the year or era!  So nobody get your panties in a bunch over the following, OK?  Thank you.  If you must rant, rant at ME off list!  Thanks.  The following is just MY twisted sense of HUMOR trying to put a little LEVITY on what has become an overly serious non-issue-in-all-reality topic.

Leslie, by the way has a ’67 Sedan, and Leslie virtually built, along with many others, the website, and probably named the era HERSELF.  Leslie’s ’67 Sedan, which is very nice, restored beautifully, and anyone, including myself, would be proud to own, so, like I said, all in jest, I offer you these alternatives to “The Haze Green Era”...

If one wanted to get technical, and to make Haze Green more palatable to those in a tizzy over the current name given, and stop all the fuss, we COULD change the '67-’68 Imperial models pages from “The Haze Green Era” to:  "The Back to Chrysler years", or The "A Newport frame by any other name is still a Newport years", or even just add to the current naming convention:  “Haze Green...the stoned years”.

As for me, personally I would not mind having the Fuselage year Imps named the "Paisley Top Era”.  I might even consider getting Mikey Sutton, or Kenyon Wills to help me “Borrow” this car!  Although it was only offered one year, or just even part of one year.  Here is the link to one on the website I would kill, or at least maim in order to avoid a life term, have this car:  http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1971/Paisley/index.htm  Better yet, if I COULD find this material somewhere I would be thrilled beyond words to have a convertible top made from it for my ’66 ‘vert!!!!  Now that would be just way too cool!  Now that I think about it, I’m going to start looking around for that material...  Not stock, but way cool...A hippy-dippy-yippy-yuppie-guppie, groovy, paisley ’66 ‘vert!  With my Brian Jones mop top hair cut I wear now, I would be in Imperial nirvana.

Oh, and to whomever said the ’64-’66 Imps should be referred to as the “Sand Dune years”.  Fine, works for me.  It brings up images of “Dr. Zhivago” with Omar Sharif & Julie Christie; even though what I think I really mean is “Lawrence of Arabia” with Peter O’Toole, Alec Guinnes, AND Omar Sharif.  I must have a Omar Sharif fixation going on.  Hey, I could do worse, like maybe...Danny DeVito?  Anyway, and actually, what I really want is that fabulous fur hat and hand warmer Julie Christie wore in Dr. Zhivago, but that is an entirely different subject...

Chill people, just enjoy your cars.  Their CARS, not people, not a newly discovered species just found in the Amazon jungles for scientists to argue over its official scientific journal name.  There CARS!  Go drive your car, work on it, do something with it today that gives you the pleasure you derive from owning an Imperial, and LET GO of the website naming convention.  One hundred years from now, nobody is going to give a rip!  Enjoy your car today!

Happy motoring to all, and to all a safe “trip”.  Haze Green, OR Purple...

Wm. R. Ulman

Seattle, WA

'66 Crown Convertible Coupe - Doris Day

'95 Buick Roadmaster - Rock Hudson