Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2005 8:49 PM
Subject: RE: IML: 69 Imp Dead Electrical

John,

Where are you in diagnosis? What has been replaced? What have you ruled
out? Closest experience for me is my 72 New Yorker. It did the same thing
once. Voltage regulator and alternator both were fried. Whatever short
caused it killed the battery. No idea why. I replaced all three parts at
the same time, and all was well.

If you still have the older original type mechanical regulator, you might
want to replace it with an electronic version.  Have the alternator tested
OFF the car.  Don't replace either part until you know that BOTH are good.

My New Yorker charged poorly at low RPM until I finally replaced the
alternator with a good quality, high output unit.

If you put in a new mechanical VR, polarize it. Instructions will tell you
how. If you use an electronic VR, be CERTAIN that you provide good ground.

Another possibility is a failed ammeter, or a loose wire at the ammeter, or
at the bulkhead disconnect. That is just a matter of following wires and
ensuring tight connections.

DO NOT work on the system without disconnecting the battery. Aside from the
danger, you will almost certainly damage the VR, or alternator, or both.

Maybe consider waiting until the temp is down to a more reasonable level.
Being hot makes everything worse.

Good luck.

Michael