Re: IML: 69 Imp Dead Electrical

When the alternator fails, the car will generally run until the battery is too dead to keep it going. Based on what was posted, it sounded like this could have happened. This can cause the ammeter to show full discharge at a stop. It can also make the car die after switching on a major accessory.

Lately, I have also experienced total battery failure. A short had developed within the battery. Under this scenario, the car would run with a jump start, but very badly. The accessories were "hey-wire", and it seemed like everything had gone wrong at the same time (lights, radio, windows). I learned that the symptoms of this are especially peculiar on cars with computerized controls and digital readouts.

If you have test equipment, you should check your battery, alternator, and regulator. If you don't have test equipment, replacing all three is not a bad idea. I really hate to advise people to "throw parts at the car" when they have trouble, but these three items can be on the verge of failure for some time. To maintain reliability, they should be replaced if they are very old. If it doesn't fix the problem, at least you know they are not the cause. I think that there is a good chance that the alternator or the battery, or both are the trouble.

Also, verify that the connections to your regulator are clean. A bad connection here can lead to nothing from the alternator, and, eventually, a totally dead battery.

Paul W.