IML: Water Pump

Hi Joe,
The online catalogues are great for cars 10 or 20 years old. Much older than that, you'll need to walk in to a parts house, ask the kid behind the counter to get out his actual parts book, and then reference the proper part # to their listing in the computer. As far as I understand, that water pump should be the same from '59-'74ish, or later. It seems that the water jacket housing changed slightly in the 70's, this is what the water pump attaches to. You have some options for this unit, the race influenced aftermarket offers light weight aluminum water pumps and housings. This is of questionable benefit for us. Others may be able to give the pros and cons. The $$$ involved would be one of the cons. This should be an easy part to get in either steel or aluminum.

Eric
Portland, Oregon
Q#3: I am having some difficulty finding a water pump for the 1961 Imperial at parts houses' on-line catalogues. Is the water pump the same for all '60's era Chrysler 413 engines and does it make sense to replace it if it hasn't failed (as far as I can tell)?