Sent: Monday, August 22, 2005 5:29 PM
Subject: Re: IML: 69 Imp Dead Electrical

Pegging all the way on the charge side usually means that the battery is taking a full charge, or that the regulator points are stuck.

I have never had a major short circuit in a car, so I don't know what it would look like. I have had battery's short out, as I explained here earlier. That can cause all kinds of odd problems, including the ones that you describe. A short circuit in an accessory can cause the ammeter needle to peg, but usually that would not last very long, or result in the car stalling. The accessory would normally blow a fuse, or burn up first. If the battery terminal arc's when it is connected, and everything is suppose to be turned off, that is an indication of an accessory problem, or possibly some short circuit, and should be tracked down immediately. This is also dangerous as explosive gases present around the battery, and this spark can cause it to blow up.

I have had open connections that lead to componet failure. A short circuit is going to make something happen fairly quick. If it is in the ignition, it will usually cause the balast resistor to burn out. If it is in the charging system, it will usually blow the battery. What I thought I read this morning in the post was that the car was running, and had been idling in the heat. I understood that the A/C was turned on, resulting in the ammeter showing a discharge, and eventually the car stalled. All of this leads me right to a weak charging system.

What to do about that and how to check it has already been posted at least once here today, so I won't repost it here again.

Paul W.