IML: Vinyl or paint?

I've got the vinyl off both my '65 Imperial and my '75
Newport.

The Newport is a chameleon as it was green, and still
has some green, but now has alot of black and some
white. I don't plan on replacing it's top but painting
the top white instead with the rest of the car black.

The Imperial, however, will be getting a new top at
some point but I'm thinking of also painting the top
before it gets it's new vinyl -- just as a "protective
coating" -- or will this hamper the vinyl replacement
process?

Paul
'65 'Bald Eagle' Crown