Re: IML: This is Hilarious!!

For cheques drawn on a bank in your own country it would take up to ten
banking days to ensure the cheque cleared.  But when it comes to cheques
drawn on foreign banks, it can take a month or more.  In my own case, I
received a cheque drawn on an American bank (an advance on a book I was
writing) and my bank put a 20 banking day hold on the funds.  Due to the
differing computer systems and the time to physically send the cheque from a
bank in one country to another, it takes longer to verify the amount and
transfer the funds.

If anyone decides to accept one of these deals, make sure you tell the buyer
you will not be forwarding any funds until you know the cheque has cleared -
and tell them that will be 60 (sixty) days from the date the cheque is
deposited in your account.  Trust me, you will be waiting a very, very, very
long time for a response to that proposal.

And as Smitty states, why would anyone send more money than needed?   It
makes absolutely no sense.  And to send a cheque for over a thousand dollars
for a $25 item should be setting off all kinds of bells, whistles and
warning signals.

This scam has hit buyers in America, Canada, Great Britain and other
countries - basically any country that has sellers offering goods via the
internet.

Another neat scam is the email stating somebody with the same last name as
you has died in some African country and has an estate worth umpteen
millions.   They have done a long search and have determined that you are
the closest next of kin.  For various fees, etc., they can help expedite the
transfer of these millions in Africa to your bank in your city.  When I
received the first email giving this line, my first question was, why me?
My father is still alive as is his older brother and therefore, I am not the
closest next of kin.   Besides, with all these millions at stake, why are
they contacting me via email instead of a nice letter with raised
letterhead, signature and all?

Remember - it it seems too good to be true ... it is.

Bill
Vancouver, BC