IML: 64 IML and Edelbrock carbs

Well, I finally figured it out. I post this so you don't have to suffer the angst that I have for the past month.

If you've been following along with this saga, you'll remember I put a new reman. long block 413 in my convertible. Couldn't get it to run right, wouldn't idle, etc. The defective brake booster was was robbing the engine of vacuum. Ok, got the idle pretty good. Still couldn't get the points and dwell set up, so I did the Pertronix electonic ignition. Perfect, idled like a champ and was very smooth.

Put an Edelbrock 1406 on - the car wouldn't get out of it's own way - no power. The timing was set at 10 degrees, the idle fuel mixture was set properly - still no guts.

Alas!!! The secondaries wouldn't open, because the butterflies were hitting the manifold gasket....duh! One inch carb spacer solved that! But, still no power.

After four hours with the mechanic today, his supervisor finally came out and said, "The vacuum line is attached to the wrong port." Another big DUH. Switched it over, reset the timing and now I get vacuum advance and this big boat will burn some rubber! A simple, stupid mistake - a vacuum hose on the wrong port!

She runs great now, except for one thing. I can't get it to kick down into passing gear. Played with the linkage and still no luck.

I really need some help on this final issue - PLEASE?

Off list if you will to cadij@xxxxxxxxxxx

Jay
64 Iml Cvbt.