IML: Pearlescent Leather / Leather Restoration

IML: Pearlescent Leather / Leather Restoration

Pearlescent leather is a light application of metallic flake during the dye/finish process.
Again, our very own www.imperialclub.com has an excellent piece on the restoration of hardened, torn, and faded leather, and how the pearlescent flake is applied, as performed by Kerry Pinkerton of our list.
In the 'Repair' section, under 'Interior', see: http://imperialclub.com/Repair/Interior/Leather/index.htm
(Thanks, Kerry!)

A company called Leatherique supply's the dyes and restorative oils to make rock hard leather soft again, as Kerry describes. Tears can be mended together, missing segments can be filled in w/a filler or of similar grade scrap leather. If there is enough to work with, the original material could be restored for a fraction of new while maintaining the original fit and appearance that is often lost in the translation to new material.

The original leather in a '66 Crown Coupe was of the highest grade, was carefully scanned for imperfections, and was tanned in the traditional organic method using barks and oils instead of the modern chemical treatment, making it an excellent candidate for restoration.
To use new leather, grain and thickness should be taken into consideration to match the 'top grain' quality of the original, and then the factory color and gloss level in the dye can be matched by Leatherique with a good original sample sent to them.

Eric
Portland, Oregon

Anyone bought any Pearlescent Leather hides lately?  I called SMS today and
was quoted minimum $900 per hide.  That's more than twice the price my
upholstery guy can get some very high quality hides for from local supplier.
 He can match the color very well BUT not the Pearlescent finish.  Thing
is, SMS told me they charge that $900 price with or without the Pearlescent
finish.  I'd consider going with my local guy's leather and forego the
original finish but my back seats are near-perfect so it's only the front
seats that need doing.  People tell me labor is the real cost of seats but,
in this case, the original finish materials would cost me 3X what he'll
charge me to do the work.  On top of all of that, SMS tells me it takes 5-6
weeks from the time I pay in full to get the material.  I "hear" that could
really be 5-6 MONTHS with those guys.

Anybody have any suggestions?  Alternative suppliers of Pearlescent Leather?
 Spare original front seat covers hidden somewhere?  I have a '66 Crown
Coupe hardtop - leather is burgandy red.  The color code plate is on the car
if I need it.

Thanks,
Jon