Re: IML: Remove stainless roof panels from 60 LaBaron

Re: IML: Remove stainless roof panels from 60 LaBaron

Thanks for all the information. Knowing that they might be spot welded helped immensely.

I worked on one panel yesterday. It was solidly in place. This was about the only thing solid about this car. Since nothing was moving and I could not see the lip of the panel, I figured it must be welded. So I went to work on the drip molding. You are right. Even though it is only a compression fit, it was on very tightly. I used a curved putty knife staring at the rear to run under it and lift the side toward the door to "unhook" it so to speak. It worked well for most of the way, but toward the front it started to tear the metal on the bottom edge of the chrome molding. I think for the other side I will try a hard plastic knife which is curved and see how that works. Anyway, with the molding off, I could see the spot welds. I drilled the welds out and the panel was some what loose. I had to remove a very hard caulking that was in the drip molding that is part of the body because it too was holding down the panel lip. With that out, the panel was free. The only damage to the panel was the 1/4 inch holes where the welds were drilled out. The drip molding came off straight and had only slight damage along the bottom for about 4 inches which can be fixed.

Tom