IML: Imperialist Retirement

Well, it has finally come to pass. I retired yesterday from driving truck at Albertsons out of the La Habra yard here in California. Imperial content: I have been testing the towing capabilities of my 61 Imperial LeBaron as the official tow vehicle. The engine is the 413, but compression is now 9.7. The radiator is 28 inches instead of the stock 22 inches. I will have to change gears from the 2.94 to about 3.23 or close to that. Possibly a 3.55, not sure yet.
   I will have the ability to tow for others for a reasonable fee, depending on fuel prices and the ever changing economy such as it is. I bought new, a 7000 lb gross, 24 foot enclosed trailer. The tongue makes it a 28 footer. It is a door ramp entry and has two other doors. One is for exiting the car if you drive it into the trailer. I have test towed my Daytona around here in the Palm Desert, Calif. I towed the trailer from Moorseville, North Carolina. I towed it from there to Calif with my Daytona. I have pics on request if you would be interested in something of extreme towing. The pics will be in an upcoming issue of Mopar Collectors Guide magazine. They are doing a couple stories of my life with Mopars as I have had them since I was in the Army back in 1966. My first Mopar, a 57 Dodge Coronet 4 door sedan.
   I will put the Imperial in the trailer to test the roominess and fit. The trailer is a wide body, 102 inches wide. The widest you can get. I need to test for clearence of the tires around the inside fenders of the trailer.
   I am looking for a 62 413 and a 62 all aluminum trans as they will bolt right in and the trans is a lot lighter and is easier to rebuild on the road if such an occasion arrises.         Email me off IML for any one wanting more info. Joe Machado
   I can travel any where in the country. I do not have a schedule as I travel on a whim. It would not be feasible, for example, to travel to Michigan, move a car to Ohio and return to Calif. The cost would be too prohibitive.