Re: IML: what is a "circuitbreaker" exactly..

Re: IML: what is a "circuitbreaker" exactly..

Rob:

There have been several explanations about a circuit breaker but none explained it completely.  I worked at Westinghouse in their Standard Control Division where we made circuit breakers.

A simplified explanation is:  A circuit breaker is a device that protects a circuit up to its' rated capacity in two ways:  Magnetically, it will trip immediately if there is a direct short.  There is also thermal protection.  If a circuit is overloaded for a period of time, the bi-metal strip will separate from the contact until it cools, at which time it will return to it's original position.

There can be manual or automatic reset; however in most automotive applications they are automatic because they are hidden of in a relatively accessible place.

In your home, they are in the electrical panel just under the main breaker and are usually manually reset after finding the cause of the problem.

Bob

Rob van der Es <r.vdes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello all Imperialists out there,

Just another question from a Dutch Imperial owner:)
I am sorting out some minor electrical issues on my 1960 Imperial.

I am repairing my power antenna motor at the moment and I must admit that
I have made a short circuit from the middle wire (pink) on the antenna
switch to ground...

There was a little spark and after that the wire doesn't carry 12V anymore..
Ofcourse I can take another 12V line from the fusebox, but I want to keep
this as much original as possible.
So I want my 12 V at the middle connection of the antenna switch at the
pink wire.

from the FSM I understand that the power for the antenna motor isn't
coming from the fuse box, so it isn't fuse protected.
Instead of that a circuitbreaker is used, can anyone explane the following
to me:

a) how does a circuit breaker works ?
b) can you "reset" a circuit breaker or must it be replaced?
c) where is the circuit breaker located in a 1960 Imperial (4 door HT)

Thanks in advance,

Robert van der Es
1960 Imperial Crown