Re: IML: Adding to the fleet

--- Jay King <j_king@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Questions for the list, especially for luxury coupe
> owner/drivers:
>
> This is the original Darth Vader car, with the
> all-electronic dashboard. Is it possible that any of
> the electronics survived, or do I need to be looking
> for a parts car with a good dash (and possibly
> additional interior pieces)? Should I just bite the
> bullet and plan to replace all the wiring harnesses?
> Are there any special secrets I need to know about
> these cars? Working on Fifth Avenues has led me to
> appreciate the toughness and simplicity of the B/F/M
> platform, and I really expect the YS to be similar;
> am I in for some surprises?

Are any circuits hot when the car is off?  If not,
wouldn't they have dried out when the water subsided?
Might the whole deal have a chance of working if you
took the connections apart and sprayed contact cleaner
on them?  Might they work even without doing this?

When the car is OFF, what stays on?  Those are the
only circuits that would be affected?  I don't know -
don't work on submarines much, but I'd fiddle with it
a bunch before ripping things out wholesale and
calling them dead.

Has the car been left out with the windows down, the
doors open, and the hood/trunk open for a good long
while?  That's where I'd start.

Congratulations and good luck!

-Kenyon