IML: Brakes on a 63

Greetings fellow imperialists
Would anyone care to make an educated guess as to what would cause brakes to become super sensitive to pedal pressure?. It doesn't act like the shoes are contaminated with fluid.
By that I mean that the wheels never actually lock up. Its just that the brakes are so sensitive you are almost afraid to step on the pedal.
This problem is on a 63 Imperial that is for sale and that  I took for a test drive .
The seller of the car said that the brakes have been that way for quite a while .
He said his mechanic told him he couldn't find anything wrong  with either the shoes or wheel cylinders.
If I don't buy the car I would at least like to give the  owner an idea as to what is wrong.
Very un -imperial braking  to say the least
  Thanks in advance
.Clay Smith
 60 Custom
 67 Crown Coupe