Re: IML: Chrysler Pentastar/Bob Hope Chrysler Theater

Re: IML: Chrysler Pentastar/Bob Hope Chrysler Theater

That's television and marketing.  Sounds like an update from the old 'Climax
Theatre' where the cars were introduced one by one as they took off from a
dead start - Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, Chrysler and Imperial.  Note no Dodge
truck.

The intro as you described tied the five cars and trucks to the Chrysler
Corporation via the pentastar, but the penstastar meant more than just cars
& trucks.   And what about Canada where we had seven lines - Valiant,
Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler, Imperial, Fargo trucks and Dodge trucks?   The
Valiant was a separate line in Canada from 1960 to 1966 and sold at both
Plymouth-Chrysler and Dodge-Chrysler dealers.

Again, what the advertising boys and girls do to get people to notice the
ads (and this was basically a variation of a song and dance intro number)
does not mean that was what the pentastar stood for as far a Chrysler
management was concerned,    I have read articles on the pentastar written
after it was introduced and praised for its success.  In the articles the
persons in charge of coming up with the pentastar are quite clear about
their mission - to come up with a symbol to represent all deparments,
divisions, products and services of the Chrysler Corporation, not just in
the United States, but all across the globe.  And given Chrysler's
involvement with missiles at the time, perhaps even in outer space.

Then Chrysler head, Lynn Townsend, was quite adamant on that point as he
wanted to expand Chrysler across the globe and expand its income base.  He
wanted something that would say 'Chrysler' to everyone, no matter where they
were in the world and no matter what language they spoke.  And the pentastar
succeeded magnificently.   Over the years no matter what Chrysler product or
service you purchased,. Chrysler Outboard engines, Chrysler Industrial
engines, New Process Gear transmissions, Chrysler boats, Introl gauges,
Oilite powdered metals, Cycleweld adhesives, Perth automotive metal
products, Imperial cars, Fargo trucks, Humber cars, Simca cars, Barreiros
diesels, Chrysler Defence tanks, Jupiter missile parts, Airtemp air
conditioners, Chrysler Leasing services, Chrysler Real Estate buildings,
Chrysler Finance loans, and a for a while British Cummins diesel engines,
the pentastar was used by all to show they were part of the Chrysler
Corporation.

Bill
Vancouver, BC