Re: IML: "Overhaulin" my 1970

Kenyon Wills <imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I want an engine with plenty of power.  440 seems a
good candidate.  I will never race anyone, don't care
about ET's, and just want something with much more
than the average power.  I am in this for my own
jollies and nothing more.  If I can have some fun with
people that drive the cars with easter-basket handles
on the trunks, well that's a bonus.

I want something that does not idle particularly rough
or loud and is something that can be driven regularly
without all of the "HIGH PERFORMANCE" touchiness of
cars that are really wrung-out high-schooler cars.

Growl without roar.  Nothing to prove to anyone else.
Kenyon -- I'm just catching up on e-mail after Thanksgiving, so you've probably gotten lots of opinions on this topic.

However, you might want to take a look at what I did with my '71 Imperial a few years ago: http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1971/Scott/Engine/

I rebuilt the engine in 1997.  I did NOT want something that sounded like a ragged-out '68 Mustang, but DID want to give the car some more oomph.

I got what I wanted, and almost nine years later, I'm still tickled pink with how the car drives.  It sounds good, with a nice low rumble (the car has dual exhaust with a crossover pipe and stock mufflers, no resonators).

And it goes fast.

You can go as far as you want to in "tricking out" a 440.  My rebuild was relatively mild, but got great results.  All of the exact specs (and prices in 1997 dollars!) are on the webpage.

Elijah

http://www.imperialclub.com/~imperial71/
http://www.imperialclub.com/~imperial71/bookshelf.htm
1965 Imperial LeBaron