IML: "Overhaulin" my 1970

I have a 1970 Imperial (runs ok)
I have a 1969 440 engine core
I have a 1970 HD Torqueflight core
All three will likely get rebuilt and put together as
a super-imperial in the coming few years and it's fun
to waste time scheming about it when I have nothing
better to do.  Want your input.

I saw the Chip Foose thing on TV and thought I'd like to go that route, so that's where I'm coming from on this:

I am considering building a performance engine.  I am
interested in attaining several things, and avoiding
some others.  If you have suggestions, please write me
direct if you're bashful or to the list if you're not.

One thing:  I don't much like "opinions".  Either you
know something or you're just supposing.  I'd like to
avoid hearing conjecture, so if you have not
personally done this sort of thing, please hold for
the next contestant..

Also, if you don't want to hear about hi-performance
stuff, maybe just avoid this thread?  I'd like to be
short and not drag it out for more than 48 hours if
possible, as this really isn't exactly the place for
it, but it sorta-is too.  Start shouting if it gets
out of hand and we can drop it.

--------------
My plan:

I'd like to put a high-performance engine and auto
transmission under the hood of my car as I do paint
and a top.  Maybe bigger brakes, too.

I plan to put a gear-vendors gearbox out back in the
interests of having a massive overdrive for high speed
cruising or fuel economy.

I want an engine with plenty of power.  440 seems a
good candidate.  I will never race anyone, don't care
about ET's, and just want something with much more
than the average power.  I am in this for my own
jollies and nothing more.  If I can have some fun with
people that drive the cars with easter-basket handles
on the trunks, well that's a bonus.

I want something that does not idle particularly rough
or loud and is something that can be driven regularly
without all of the "HIGH PERFORMANCE" touchiness of
cars that are really wrung-out high-schooler cars.

Growl without roar.  Nothing to prove to anyone else.

I'm not looking for a transmission with a shift-kit
that slams your spine, but would consider mild 727
alterations if there were good reason.  I don't know much about performance things, as I'm generally pretty happy with stock equipment.

What should I consider regarding:

Engine Modifications:  What and why?

Supercharger:  Yes or no and why?  Brand?

Lowering the car:  Do's/Dont's, & do I need different
shocks/what to do on that?

Transmission: Besides rebuilding the HD unit, anything
else?  I DO NOT want a high-stall convertor.  Regular
is fine (Right?)

Rear-end:  leave stock?  Works OK now.

Anything else?

I will probably put a wide set of rims/tires on it,
shave the door handles (real "fuselages" don't have
door-handles, right?), and plan to paint it faux
aluminum or maybe matte "stealth" black.  The car
could  have rivets painted on along the seams of the
doors & body, mimicing an airplane, but I'm not done
with that one mentally yet.   Maybe a small US
Air-Force wing insignia to the rear as on B-29's with
a 64-66 gas-cap sized bird in the middle in place of a
star?  Don't know if I can go that far with the cheese
factor, but the door's open to ideas on this.

There is a paint out there that looks just like softly
polished aluminum, so that's what started all of this.
They use it mon motorcyle tanks and it looks really
neat-o.

All of this is on a car with a very tired hunter green
respray, horrible top, and middle-aged drivetrain that
I would not trust driving on any extended trips at
this point.

Above all, I want long-term durability and
street-worthiness, as I plan to keep the car for
decades, not as a project to be done and forgotten
about.

Thoughts?

Kenyon Wills

Kenyon Wills