RE: IML: Auto Body Shop....

Since 1970, I have had over 23 collector cars, mostly Buick. Of those, I have had show paint applied to at least half of them, all from a body shop in Pasadena that used to take care of me.

The majority of the reason for nice paint work is in the preparation as someone else mentioned. Removing as much trim as possible, sanding and primering the body and proper masking gets it ready for the coat of paint.

Just about anyone can spray a car to get the paint on. The trick to getting a nice final finish, however, is in color sanding and polishing the car. Color sanding eliminates any globs, gets rid of orange peel and it gives the finish a surface like glass. Color sanding takes caer of errors in paint application.

Many of my cars came to me with poor paint jobs. However, color sanding made it look showroom fresh and without a repaint.

If your finish is free of dents and dings and large paint chips and it has a thick enough coat of paint, you may want to look into color sanding what you already have. Before color sanding, however, you should fill any chips with paint so that the touch up (properly done, of course) will be level with the final finish.

You would be amazed what color sanding can do to make a car fresh.

Before I got my IML, I had a red 65 Tbird Cvt with 14 year old paint. Outside of a couple minor chips, the paint was dull and full of orange peel. I located a mobile detailer here in Las Vegas to take a look at it (I dreaded the hassle associated with repainting a car, not to mention the money involved). For $300, he spent 12 hours on this car in my driveway color sanding (I think he used 2500 grit for the last sanding) and polishing what he had color sanded to bring the gloss back.

I was stunned by how well the car came out and EVERYONE who saw it wanted to know where I got it painted.

Think about it - 5-600 or so for a color sand or 3-8K for a repaint.

Jay
Las Vegas
64 Iml Cvt