IML: Mid-Atlantic Imperial Adventure

Last week the weather forecast was suppose to be good for Wed Nov 23rd, Light snow Thanksging Day, then clear and in the 50's for the rest of the weekend. Thought this might be my last opportunity this year to take the Imperial down to Virginia Beach (via Culpepper/Rappahonneck County for Thanksgiving) to take my 91 year old-'Old Car Enthusiast' Aunt for a ride. Aunt Pearl is originally a 'NYC gal'. She and my uncle (passed 4 years ago) had traveled to 68 countries, and last year she even took a New England cruise herself. She thought we were coming down again with the ('96) Jaguar superchared 6 cyl XJR, which she loves as it has the comfy bucket style rear heated seats. She likes 4 dr cars, and being VERY INDEPENDENT, likes 'her own door'.

We last Wed at 2PM, and despite forecasts for light DC Beltway traffic to I-66 West we ran into a horrendous jam. 1 hr to get 1 mile to the next exit. For the DC metro folks, we headed up Georgia Ave (bumper to bumper) Weaton Veirs Mill then thru Rockville and out Rt 28 to the White's Ferry  to cross the Potomac, just W of Poolesville.MD. Didn't get across the Ferry till 6:30PM.  Must have had to use the brakes 4,000 times. Once over by Leesburg VA, I thought the pedal was low (brake light not going off), but it was just my 'farmer boots' not able to fit under the pedal.

By the time we got to Culpepper down Rt 29, we ran into a big surprise:white out blizzard snow with BIG FLAKES. THE IMPERIAL WIPERS were fine on slow. We stopped for a bite to eat and in 10 minutes the car was covered with an inch 1/2 of snow. Quite an upsetting (but majestic) sight.  Camellia had to stop at a grocery store, and while I was waiting- with the snow still flaking heavily, I picked up WKBW - Buffalo NY- on the DIST circuit of the Mighty Imperial AM radio. Now when I was in HS  in upstate Rome NY, I listened to this station nightly on my 1st transistor radio.  Quite a Deja Vu!

 As we headed west from Culpepper over to the Boston/Slate Mills area (25 mph) and headed west on the rural 707- the snow stopped 2 miles from our destination. By the time we arrived at our friends (Bob & Kathryn) it was just a sprinkle.  Sat,  a wondereful crisp breezy but sunny day with dry roads we headed down SE Virginia rural Rt 522 & Rt 33 to I-64 & into Virg Beach. This was a sheer joy.

When we picked up my aunt, I didn't tell her we were coming with the 63 Imperial, and when she saw it- she just GLOWED! She called it "-'the relic'- but not as old as me"!  I was recently 60, but she still calls me 'just a kid' (what a blessing).

WE had a nice 25 minute drive for dinner & afterwards we took her Dept Store shopping- she worked in the Cosmetics Dept at Macy's in the 1930's-near Broadway,  and IS STILL A VERY  fasionable Lady- so 'The Imperial you see' --  is most  certainly the appropriate 'Relic Ride' for her! (She also loves the E-Jags).

Anyway, on the way home from the Virg Beach Dept Store (this time she agreed to ride up front) we were on I-264 toward Norfolk. I picked up Boston, then WCBS New York. As they gave the traffic report for the Bronx- 'Bruckner Blvd'-- she started to laugh- said I was still her 'Mishsuganah Kid'. (Yiddish for crazy).   WE had a great two days 'Driving Aunt Pearl'.

On Sunday afternoon we had another event, in Richmond. My fellow Jaguar Club President's wife was celebrating a special birthday. Una is a well respected actress (for over 40 years) and the Imperial was right at home by the Hanover Tavern, now also a Dinner Theater. Patrick Henry onced lived & ran in this establishment, owned by his father-in law. Another Jag club friend and his wife were also celebrating his 70th, and her parents joined the affair. Her dad, a mechanical engineer, worked for the Navy for 50 years. The Dawson's  enjoyed examining the Imperial, she inside, he under the Hood. He knew what was there! We headed home up Virginia /MD 301, ran into some rain, but the car is well waxed.

Needless to say it was a most  joyful trip.  The mighty 413 ran smooth  (no pinging with brisk  acceleration) but needs  a bottle & 1/2 of Octane Boost with full tank, but this allows the  timing to be set  close to factory specs (-2^ retard). There is a still a slight hesitation in the Carter AFB, (from stop) which may be just a slight  float adjustment (Mixture screws reset per specs and idle is smooth at 565 rpm. The book says 500, but 500 in N put the idle in D at 475- just a bit too slow-with some vibration to the interior. 560 in N gives me 525rpm in D- no vibrations.

My friend Bob also has a Jensen Interceptor with the 440 drivetrain. A few years ago, He bought an Edelbrock 600 cfm carb for it, but later, like I did, he put an Edelbrock 795 cfm on the 440. He gave me the 600 cfm carb to try on the Imperial.

>From Wed to Sunday we put 673 miles on the Imperial. I averaged 14.9-15.7 mpg.
On Sunday, the gas  tank sending unit even began TO WORK AGAIN.

So since getting the car in Wisconsin in May, I have enjoyed 1,973 miles  this driving season, including the Carlilse gathering and the Rockville show trips.  Just had to share!

Sherman D. Taffel
Columbia MD
63 Crown
Odometer now at 35,891