IML: Switching '60 to '66 Brakes

My fleet of Imperials all have their original brake systems. The years of the cars range from 1955 through 1968. I have not studied any one of them with the specific idea of switching brake systems between model years.

From my readings over the years about this issue, I believe that the quickest swap for 1960 would be with a '63 or possibly '64 parts car. There was a major change in 1965 which makes it necessary to swap out the entire third member, and possibly other drive line paraphernalia. There may have been other changes made for '66, but I don't own one to compare. 1963 was the year that the brake system was changed over to the more common design. Backing plates may require some work to accomodate this, especially rears, I don't know for sure.

Three years ago I spent several months rebuilding the brake systems on all of my Imperials. At that time, parts were readily available for all model years through my local (but excellent) auto parts store. Were drums required, I obtained them from Bob Hoffmiester. I did not make any conversions, but rather stuck with the stock systems. I don't know how much you plan to drive your '60 Imperial. I don't drive any of mine very much any more, so I don't mind adjusting my brakes manually once in a while. Self-Adjusting brakes would be the biggest reason to make the change that you are asking about. Even they should have their adjustments checked manually from time to time. They do, however, employ the more managable "star-wheel adjuster" that some shops might still be use to encountering.

Other than the need for frequent manual adjustments, '57 through '62 brakes systems are just fine. Our cars were engineered to be the way that they are on purpose. I have grown tired of the idea that just because people don't like them, that the brakes on 1957 through 1962 Imperials are no good. They are good, when used as intended, and are more than adequate if properly maintained, and driven sensibly. If the owner depends on outside help for maintenance, there can be a problem. Our cars are over 40 years old, so shops are no longer familiar with how to adjust the brakes. ADJUSTMENTS DONE INCORRECTLY ARE VERY DANGEROUS. I prefer to adjust my own anyway. I learned that from my father, who adjusted his own, and trusted the original brakes on our 1960 Imperial to stop our car with our whole family contained within.

That doesn't mean that someone who is innovative and skilled shouldn't do what ever they want to improve the performance of their car. I object to the statement that seems to come through that our cars MUST be converted in order to be safe. That is simply false. There were big and heavy high powered cars built in the middle 1950's that had inadequate brakes. Even they can be safe if the driver knows his vehicle, and drives accordingly. By the middle 1960's, the industry had corrected this, and thankfully, things continued to improve after that as well.

Paul W.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob van der Es <r.vdes@noorderpoort.nl>
Sent: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 08:47:29 +0100 (CET)
Subject: Re: IML: re. Disc V Drum Brakes

@ Paul and others:

Is it wise then to convert 57 to 62 drumbrakes to the 1966 version?
And if so, are the 66 parts still available?
I own a 1960 Imperial and I am planning a major brake overhaul with all
new wheelcylinders and a new master cylinder, would it be an option then
to convert rightaway to the 1966 system?

Robert van der Es