From: "Bill Watson"
Subject: Re: IML: Budd rotors
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 06:46:33 -0800

It may be true that 100% of 1967 Imperials had the Budd disk brakes, but
that 100% totals 17,614 cars. As can be seen below, "very few" is a
relative term.

For the 1967 model year, 218,716 Chryslers were built, and of that only 6.2%
had Budd brakes. Which works out to 13,560 vehicles.

Imperial built 15,362 cars for the 1968 model year, all with Budd brakes.

For Chrysler production :
1966 : 264,848 - 1.8% - 4,767
1967 : 218,716 - 6.2% - 13,560.
1968 : 264,863 - 8.4% - 22,248
Total - 40,576

For Plymouth - :
1966 Fury : 331,926 - 0.7% - 2,323
1967 Fury : 358,685 - 3.4% - 12,195
1968 Fury : 430,357 - 4.1% - 17,645
Total - 32,163

1966 Polara/Monaco : 168,445 - 1.8% - 3.032
1967 Polara/Monaco - 123,648 - 4.4% - 5,441
1968 Polara/Monaco - 182,026 - 5.1% - 9,283
Total - 17,756

So, as you can see, if you can get the Imperial Budd brake discs to
interchange with the rest, you can quadruple your potential market. It also
shows how weak Dodge was in the marge car market in those days.

The 1966 Canadian parts catalogue shows the disc brake with a separate disc
and hub, with the notation that both are serviced in 5-05-3. That section
lists the disc and hub as one unit. But the illustration shows the lug
bolts are installed in the hub while the hub is attached to the disc. The
disc had five holes and there is a bolt shown in position to go through the
disc and into the hub. Judging by the bolt illustrated, it is a normal bolt
that just bolts into back of the hub. It does not appear to be a stud with
the wider base needed to press fit the drum and hub together.

The front studs holding the wheel in place are listed in section 22-05-14,
but those bolts at the back of the disc do not have any type code.

So, just how does the Imperial disc differ from the rest? We know the hub
does.

Bill
Vancouver, BC