Re: IML: Promotional Imperials

Clear glass with AC is for cars intended to be used in filming, so you can
light up the actors inside the car when they appear in driving scenes.

My '72 Charger was the car of Doris Day's character in her TV show, but it
was not her personal car. It was specially configured by someone either in
the West Coast PR and promo office or by Herman Hadler's PR group who
handled all the product placement cars with the TV and film industry. That's
why my car has oddities like Clear Glass with AC (there's actually an option
code for this combo), a power sunroof (also to let light in), and a bench
seat (to allow driver and passenger to sit closer together so they'd be
recognizable in one TV-screen sized shot (remember a big TV was 20" then).

Chrysler and the studios had a long relationship and it was evidently a
generous one judging by the number of movie spottings of Imperials and other
Mopars. I think if 1960s Hollywood had represented the world accurately,
Chrysler would have outsold GM and Imperial would have been the #1 luxury
car.

There are numerous cars that were assigned to the production companies of
actors (such as Bob Hope), and some of these were used personally. But
unless they were shot using them off-set, it is hard to verify them as the
personal car of any actor.

What's odd about this car is that I cannot find any movies or TV films made
by Miss O-Sullivan during the production time of a 1967 Imperial. So maybe
it was used by her production company (or simply ordered through them for
her, meaning it was "custom" ordered with the options desired but not built
with anything that any citizen could have ordered for their own Imperial).

Either way, amusing provenance, but probably only worth a significant
premium to a devout movie fan. Makes for fun conversation though (and every
calls my car "Doris Day's Charger" )!

Chris in LA