Sent: Sunday, March 05, 2006 8:53 AM
Subject: RE: IML: Turn Signal Switch 69

Most of us with the 67-69 cars with the Saginaw column ("Tilt-O-Scope" to
the ad writers) have had to replace those switches.  They are still pretty
available - the run on eBay frequently; some dealers still have them in
stock.  They will cost around $100.

It is a nasty, nasty job, but I've done it on all 5 of my cars with that
column, and without the "special tool" that you are advised to use to pull
the outer housing (no one has that, that I know of). It CAN be done without
removing the housing; I've got the skinned knuckles to prove it. The good
news is, the newer switches are much improved (look for a reddish tinge to
the plastic parts) and will not fail again, at least in my experience (about
10 years worth).

The part number for this switch is all you need, go to PartsVoice.com and do
a search. Also, monitor eBay - if you can find one on there you might get a
bargain, but be sure it is of the newer type (look at the picture to see the
color of the plastic)

The part number is: 2880 271

You will also have to make a simple tool to release the tangs on the 10 pin
connector at the base of the steering column. With the wires liberated from
the connector housing, you can pull the old switch up and out of the column,
one wire at a time, without damaging them or the column. With the last one
you pull, be sure to attach a pull string to the bottom end, so that you
have something to lead the new switch's wires back into the black maze that
you have to feed them through. When you see the bare wire fittings on the
new switch, you will understand what tool it will take to release them from
the old connector, which you will have to re-use.

You also have an alternative:  just live with the problem!  Many of the
members are doing that.

Dick Benjamin