Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 2:50 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: IML: LeBaron Rear Window Filler - Paint the fiberglass area?

Kenyon,

I haven't seen one of those fiberglass plugs myself, but I have to agree with the concerns of the paint cracking and filler popping from the different expansion rates.

I agree with the idea of painting the top.  I have a couple ideas.  First, it might be possible to reinforce the existing plug with extra layers of 'glass to make it stronger.  Don't know if this would actually work with the used piece or not.  If you have one from a parts car to experiment with, I'd say go for it.

Next up would be to use the original one to make a mold and form a new stronger one from fiberglass.  Then you could make it larger than the original to feather out beyond the seams.  All the metal under the plug must be rust free or it will bubble to the surface ruining the look of your slick roof.

Now for the idea I really like.  Using the original piece as a guide, have a new plug fabricated out of steel, then have it welded into the roof.  This would be the most expensive way to go, but I believe it would give you the best results.  An old body guy might be able to do it, or you might need to see a metal fabricator.  Somebody that really knows how to work the metal.
Compared to some of your other ideas for this car, this might not be the most costly part of the project.

Rob McCall
'67 LeBaron