IML: secure that battery

I always like to mount the largest battery I can fit in. I like to get one that almost bends the tray it sits on.

Don't forget to secure it. I drove home from Detroit to Toronto once and for some reason, I could not secure the battery on my pickup truck. I stopped to fuel up, and then made a sharp turn to get back on the road. My battery flipped off the tray and jammed between the fan and the rad. Somehow a fuel line was knocked loose and started a fire. I stopped and immediately moved an 8 pound container of smokeless rifle propellant from the cab to the curb some distance away.

Fortunately, the guy working the gas bar had a fire extinguisher and put out the fire quickly. The fire department showed up and looked at the container of gun powder, but didn't comment on it. I had to replace the battery and some wires. The battery had a big gouge in it where the fan blade bit into it. Could have been a lot worse.

Make sure that battery is secure. Good idea to check the clearance too.

Alan Harper
1964 Mercury 3/4 ton flatbed
1969 Dodge D100 pickup
1976 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham
1978 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham St. Regis (fawn gold)
1978 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham St. Regis (triple white)
1992 Ford T-Bird
2001 Harley Davidson FXDXT Dyna Super Glide Convertible
triggermortis@xxxxxxxxx
preservationist of our chrome heritage
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

=====

One caveat: ALWAYS check the clearance between the battery posts and the =
hood. If you use a taller battery, it could contact the underside of the =
hood during maneuvers, then you would have trouble.

David C. Wilker Jr.
United States Air Force, Retired