Re: IML: Battery for a 56

Jeff..

You asked for a battery part number that will work / fit in your 56. Doing a quick search on Autozone and on CSK ( Schucks ) website, I came up with some information for you. Group 27 and Group 24 sizes were both shown , each are extremely common battery sizes dating back to 56 and no doubt earlier. The dimensions are approximate, as manufacturers do vary a bit, but the group size is just that, a physical size and layout specification for a particular battery. Group 27 is 12 3/4 long, 6 3/4 wide and 8 3/4 tall. Group 24 is 10 3/4 long, 6 3/4 wide and 8 3/4 tall. As a side note, groups 75 and 78 were also listed and as I recall from my old days in the parts business, are dimensionally equivalent to the group 24 and 27. Group 27 used to be the largest battery commonly found in passenger cars, and was probably the stock size for all of the Imperials in the 60s and 70s.

Hope those part numbers help. Group sizes are an industry standard, any parts store droid who can spell his or her own name and find their way to work in the morning should be able to help you.

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe