Re: IML: '73 door detent spring

Jay King <j_king@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yesterday as I closed the driver's door on my '73 LeBaron, I heard an ominous noise, and when I checked, the spring that holds the door in the open position had broken right at the retainer strap. I was busy getting my daughter's car loaded for her return to university after spring break, so I didn't try to get the old spring out, but it looks like it might take removing the door to get it loose. I've heard horror stories of early '60s cars with broken retainer straps damaging the front quarter panel, but it doesn't look like that will happen on the '73--the door just won't stay open. Anyone have experience with these springs or know of a source for a replacement spring?
Jay,

The '73 door hinge design is such that even if the spring is broken, the door WON'T swing far enough open to damage the front fender, as can happen on  '66 and earlier Imperials.

I don't know of a source for the spring other than a parts car.  The same spring was used on darn near all Chrysler products for many years, so it ought to be easy to find.

Putting it on will take about three hands, a big screwdriver, and lots of patience.  I have installed a couple of them, but it's not easy.  The spring anchors at one end, and then fits over the end of the arm that rides against a roller on the hinge.  Getting it over the end of the arm is just a matter of trial and error.

Good luck!

Elijah

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair

The Imperial Bookshelf - Repair/Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More!

My Collection of Imperials
1965 Imperial LeBaron
1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Sedan
1970 Imperial LeBaron