IML: Restoration Cost & Advice. Confessions of a Chrysler Nut

IML: Restoration Cost & Advice. Confessions of a Chrysler Nut

Hello David:
     Excellent  Advice!  Unfortunately, my
restoration was more expensive. I had previously done a semi restoration
on a
41 Plymouth P11D two door before I purchased the 39 Custom Imperial.

     I had worked for a Chrysler Dealer
washing, greasing & under coating
cars.  (Two jobs I dislike to this day ! )
I took "on the job training" under the GI
bill. I was impressed with the engineering
more so at that time, than the body designs and have owned many Chrys.
products since 1950. My first car was a 1939 DeSoto.

     I purchased the C24 over the phone three days  after a friend
notified me
of it's availability. I had not seen the car until I picked it up &
trailored it to my home. At that time I was not aware it
was a recognized Classic by the CCCA,

     As for your estimated $3,200 cost
for your car, I envy you, :)  I purchased
the 39 for $3,000 and due to it's rarity &
many parts which are not interchangeable
with other Chrys. products of that era it has cost my that much for
spare parts.
An example was my search for spare 14
inch brake drums.  After locating a C24 being parted out in Mass. the
gentleman refused to separate the drums from the
running gear, costing me $1,000 for the drums & complete front & rear
running
gear.

     I bought my first house in 1958 and have spent four times that
amount on the 39 restoration. Fortunately, it is appraised
for more than my expenses at this point
which brings up another point. Appraisals
are usually obtained from sold cars at   Auctions.  The 1939 C24's I am
aware of
are my C24, a 1939 open parade car, a restored five passenger in Texas &
restorable (?) five passenger last heard of, for sale in Atlanta, GA.
for a total of
four. IMHO, it is impossible to appraise the C24 with any accuracy. A
car is worth, what a seller will take & a buyer will pay.

     Given the years of enjoyment the car
has given me, I have no regrets. This hobby has presented my with many
fine friends & hours of pleasure.
     It's kept me off the streets & outta the Bars. I'm happy as a hog
at sloppin' time !

Enjoy
Jim Martin ..... Sunnyvale, CA

  http://www.imperialclub.com/yr/1939/limo/martin/index.htm