Re: IML: '66 Imp Coupe Rear Main Seal

This engine uses a rope type seal, from the factory. To replace this seal you need a rope type seal installer kit. Remove seal bridge, and see if crankshaft has a cross hatch pattern on it,if it does then a rope seal is needed.If it is smooth you can install a 2 piece seal.In any case you will need a helper to turn the engine over while pulling seal through.Clean all surfaces with brake cleaner,trim seal to fact. spec. Soak side rail seals in light oil, don't wait to long, and install seal bridge..We use permatex #2 for the sealer. (Fact. Recomended) Silicone sealers do not work with any oil contamination! Clean oil pan, (Brake cleaner) ,and seal gasket with contact type sealer,.We use a marine sealer for u-joint bellows. But a weather strip type glue will work too. These tips come from a Chrysler Guy from Woodward Drag racing past. Hope I helped, any questions, just ask. Thanks, DAVE.
From: "Dave" <Wilkerbeast01@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Is the old seal a 2 piece or 1 piece seal? If it is 2 piece, you can bend up a cotter key, insert it into the oil hole in the crank journal and turn the engine over by hand. The cotter key will push the old seal out. Be sure and stagger the ends of the new seal so that they do NOT align with the parting lines of the main cap.

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how
was the play?"

Dave <(^¿^)>