Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 1:49 AM
Subject: Re: IML: Condensator and vacuum menbram???

My '63 had the same condensor. Mine wasn't connected to anything either so I took it out. It now resides in the bottom of the glove compartment. I have a '62 which has a similar dash arrangement, but it had no condensor. I have had friends with 1961 models that haven't found that part either. I have only seen and heard of it in '63. Others here have run into the same thing. I believe that Eric Ruud determined what it was for and posted it in the archives of the OIC. As you say, it might have been for the radio. The dash lights can interfer with it at night, which is the time when AM radio stations turn down their signal, at least they used to. Since the lights are on at night, and the radio volume needs to be higher for some stations, I think the noise was noticible in some areas. Only a guess. Nothing has changed after I removed that condensor. The radio plays fine, the gauges and dash lights work fine, and the clock works fine also.

I recently had to change the power pack in my '63 also. 1963 is the first year for the automatic parking brake release. The vacuum canister is very much in the way of removing the old power pack. I determined that removing the brake release posed more of a possibility for ruining something, so I left the old power pack in place and installed the new one under the dash where I could get to it. That would bother some folks I guess, but when I saw how they had positioned that vacuum canister, I decided that if it gives trouble, that is when I will take it all apart and replace the power pack in the correct spot, if I ever feel the need to do so.

Those power packs go out, so I think that having it in an easy to reach spot is a pretty good idea. All you really have to do is ground the housing, hook up the power and the out put leads, and everything will work fine. You can really put it anyplace out of sight that you wish. Remember, the gauge cluster also has to be installed, or at least grounded, to test the system once you are ready to see if the power pack fixed the problem.

Paul W.