Re: IML: The Imperials keep getting printed...

Re: IML: The Imperials keep getting printed...

Yeah, Arran, it's an odd and complicated story, those last of the big
Chryslers. They are far better cars than many people remember.

I've never been able to detect a difference in the sheet metal or side
glass, but I suppose a comparison of part numbers would reveal the truth.
Maybe someday I'll measure my side glass versus a '77 or earlier NYB.

As for quality, a lot of it was perception, but it's a lot easier to change
actual problems for consumers than perceived ones, something few
manufacturers realize (the Audi situation with alleged "unintended
acceleration" comes to mind, or think about all the fear over air-bag
related child injuries in the early 90s, but when's the last time you heard
about that, even before smarter air bags?). As for Lean Burn, my car has its
original ELB system, and it's equipped with the 400-4bbl, an engine not
available in California when new because it didn't meet emissions standards.
And yet I have to get it through Smog Check every two years, and it passes
with figures that would make a modern car proud. Sure, it's only got 17,500
miles, but it's still nearly 30 years old with nearly 30-year-old
technology. And it gets similar mpg to my newer, smaller, lighter,
smaller-engine Jeep with modern control systems and a 5-speed automatic.

As with ELB and the '81 Imperial fuel injection system, a lot of the
perceived problems were rooted in customer expectation of how a car should
run and how well dealers handled both the minor issues of tuning the cars
and the major issue of re-educating customers. The engine controls of this
era were fairly primitive, analog computers burdened with a lot of vacuum
hoses and sensors that were essentially two-position limit switches. When
some of these switches fell out of tolerance, cars stalled or stumbled, and
people rightfully were disappointed. It would have been interesting if these
new systems had come about before the gas crisis. Instead of having so many
400-hp 19-mpg midsize cars today (or nearly 6,000-lb SUVs), we might all be
quite content to be driving 200-hp large cars that get 25 mpg.

The funniest part of the 1970s migration to smaller cars is that many of
them were still equipped with enormous engines. Cordobas came with 400s,
too. Even compact Volares and LeBarons with 318s got relatively poor fuel
economy by today's standards (though my '93 Jeep with the evolution of the
same engine, by then called a 5.2-liter, got better mpg than my newer Jeep
with the 4.7. Again, so much of it was perception. So much of it always will
be. Humans, after all, are we.

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon