IML: Headlight Operation on my '56

Fellows,

    In driving my '56 Imperial Sedan at night for the first time in a considerable time, I noticed from the dashboard switch operation:  first click gives me the clear front lights fulltime, which are also the front turn signal lights.   The second click gives me headlights only and kills the turn signal lights, unless of course I call for them.  My question is:  at the second click, should BOTH front sets of lights (head and turn) stay on and should I be able to operate the turn signal when called via the lever on the column?  I know the rear gunsights work on the second click and also double as turn signals when called upon in any position, I did not notice what their operation was at the first click.  Am I wired/operating correctly?...........can not let my wife see that or won't she begin to tell stories to anyone who will listen or read !!!!!!!!!.........

Respectfully,

ybshore

1956 Imperial Sedan