From: dickb@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 8:04 AM
Subject: RE: IML: Two High beam floor switches on 67 Imperial

Since Bill brought this story up, I have a bit of history to add, although
it has almost nothing to do with Imperial, I'm afraid;

One of my first jobs as an EE was with Philco Corporation, in the very early
1950s. I worked on the early color TVs, but across the hall was the auto
radio department.  As auto historians will know, Philco had been a major
force in the auto radio business since the very early days, and had always
been the supplier to Packard since the very first factory installed radios
back in the 30s.  Philco made the best radio possible with the then
available technology, as a ride in one of my pre-1951 cars will quickly
convince you - wonderful sound, incredible sensitivity! But I digress,
again, sorry.

Anyway - Philco was at that time reeling from the news that Delco had just
won the Packard contract for the 1951 Packards, and the signal seeking radio
was the reason!  The sound wasn't quite as good, but the marketing
department at Packard wanted anything at all to attract people to the
showrooms, especially since Packard's modern V8 wasn't nearly ready for
prime time!

The auto radio department at Philco worked day and night for months trying
to get around the GM owned patents on the signal seeker, but never was able
to get past our lawyers with the designs we came up with (I was across the
hall rubbernecking and trying to help every chance I got, even though it
wasn't my job).  I still have a couple of the very special speakers Philco
had made trying to show off the superb sound to the Packard folks - I
managed to get a few of them when the demonstrations were over.

Unfortunately, we never won the contract back - Delco built the Packard
radios right up to the bitter end.

Now I'll go spread some Imperial on my toast.

Dick Benjamin