IML: '81 EFI IMPERIAL won't start

OK, that eliminates a whole pile of things.

First, make sure that 12 volts is getting to the power module as follows;
bypass the ASDM by putting a temporary wire from pin 2 to pin 3 on the ASDM
- this will put 12 volts on the power module input and run the in-tank fuel
pump any time the key is on, regardless of the other logic inputs to the
ASDM.

Next, check the 23 volt power supply output.  Look on any one of the
following places:  The center pin of the air flow meter connector, or the
pink wire on the throttle position sensor, or pin 3 of the power module.
There should be 23 volts on the above points.

Be very sure not to short the 23 volts to ground - that is the most common
failure point in these cars, and the most easily caused by poking around the
system.

If the voltage is not 23 volts within about 1/2 volt or so, your power
module has failed and we'll have to find you a new one.

If there is 23 volts at the power module output, turn the key off and then
short the wire which goes to the fuel pressure switch to ground, then turn
the key on again momentarily, while you watch the voltage on the control
fuel pump input - you should see a momentary surge of 12 volts or so on that
point, and there should be a spurt of gas from the nozzles.

If there is a momentary surge of 12 volts on the control fuel pump, but
still no gas at the nozzles, we need to check the fuel pressure at the
control fuel pump inlet. It should be 13 PSI, within 1/2 PSI or so.  The
easy place to check this is at the filter outlet under the car, just under
the passenger door hinge post.

If there is still no drive to the control fuel pump, we'll have to
investigate the power module amplifier function and the logic which controls
it, but let's not get too far ahead of the story.

Dick Benjamin