RE: IML: 64 Iml clocks

Hello Folks, I had a similar clock in a 1967 Fury. These clocks are generally problematic, even if you restore them back to original condition, they will eventually stop in a few years. The problem lies with the mechanism which winds the clock. It burns itself out just with regular use. I had it repaired twice and it simply stopped soon afterwards. I bought an extra clock in Hemmings and sent it to be converted to a quartz drive and I never had any further problems. That's what I plan to do with my 58 Imperial when I get around to it. A quartz convertion is invisible and makes the clock far more accurate than any electro-mechanical drive. That is what I recommend to anyone with one of these types of clocks. Bye for now. Doug

From: "JAY D'ANGELO" <cadij@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: IML: 64 Iml clocks
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 19:31:53 -0700

I took the clock to another clock repair guy in Las Vegas today. He said he could fix it, including the burned out coil. But, he must need some money for the slot machines because he said his price was $190!Anyway, it is back in the dash showing 6 pm and it will show 6pm until someone with $190 wants to fix it. Jeez, nothing is inexpensive anymore.Jay64 ImlDate: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 19:22:53 -0400From: randalpark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Re: IML: 64 Iml clocksTo: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for the clarification on that.

The points close gradually as the clock mechanically runs, and the main spring unwinds. They open when they touch or "contact", resulting in a small spark, and bouce apart. This action winds the clock spring. A mechanical device (similar to a small ratchet) holds them in position in relation to the clock movement. The main spring once again unwinds, draws them gradually closer together, until they touch, bounce apart, and rewind the spring. That happens over and over again, and is what we are listening to when we hear the clock make that funny sound every minute or so.

The spark tends to make a build up on the points over time, blocking electrical connection (or one could say electrical un-connection) that should occur when they touch. This can happen very quickly if there is lubricant or finger prints on the contact point surfaces. Once this happens, they don't bounce apart and rewind the clock spring, and the clock stops running.

Electric motor clocks, and quartz clocks do not work this way.

Paul W.