Re: IML: imperial 1/4 mile times..ya gotta be kidding right

Re: IML: imperial 1/4 mile times..ya gotta be kidding right

Warning: This post contains material about Street Rods, racing and Chevys so delete now if you dont want to read any further.

This weekend is the annual Vintiques nationals here and for various reasons the Vintiques people raised the year of vehicles that can participate to 72. For those who dont know, Vintiques are " vintage- antique"..hence the term, cars that you typically see as street rods. For years they resisted raising the limit beyond 54, with the concern of the purists within their own ranks and to keep the inevitable flood of the 55 56 57 Chevys out. Well attrition, an aging membership and probably declining membership and interest led to this change.....

If you got this far you are probably saying " WHAT THE HECK DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH IMPERIALS!!!" Well, with a bit of prompting and a ever so small amount of pride of being an Imperial owner, combined with the desire to show off what most mere mortal Chevy owners can only dream of let alone comprehend, we took our 62 Coupe to the Vintique night at the races. We were glad to see a Chrysler Windsor and a 57 Desoto as well, and several 40s and early 50s Chryslers.

We were even more glad when our car turned a 17.89 in the quarter mile, which is by no means quick in drag racing terms, but when you consider the weight of the car, the gearing, a single exhaust, a 90 degree afternoon and that for most muscle car era vehicles a 14.5 second quarter was considered a good time slip...hey its not bad.

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe