From: DReese@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 9:30 PM
Subject: IML: Stupid mistake

....nearly caused a casualty.

I replaced the valve cover gaskets tonight along with the main vacuum hoses
powering the power brake booster.  I started hurrying a little as the mild
sprinkle I'd been subjected to was turning into full rain.

I cinched everything up tight again and started the car to let it warm up a few
minutes while I cleaned up, planning a little drive down the highway after
dinner.  I shut it all down, went inside and about ten minutes later our
neighbor rang the doorbell saying the car was smoking.  Sure enough, there was
an electrical fire under the dash, smoke pouring out, black marks on the inside
of the windshield.  You could have fried bacon on top of the dash at that spot.
A couple of quick fire extinguisher squirts and it was out.  I disconnected the
battery and everthing cleared out.

It was after dinner during my damage inspection that I found the culprit.  The
stupid human let the main wiring from the alternator get trapped under the right
valve cover.  When I tightened it up, it must have cut through the insulation
and the heat from the head did more damage.  Nearly all the insulation was
melted off the alternator wire and several wires under the dash.  The ammeter is
toast - literally.  So now I have several days of tracing wires and trying to
match up gauge/color and such.  Ugh.

The fortunate thing is a previous owner replaced the right hand instrument pod
containing all the gauges with some cludged-together modern set of off-the-shelf
gauges.  So at least I was saved burning up anything original.  Bob H. has a
replacement cluster ready to send, I just haven't gotten my money act together
yet.  I guess I'll need to now.

I'm sure others have had to rewire their cars, what am I getting into in
rewiring the underdash stuff?  How much of the dash will I have to take apart?
This time it will be slow and methodical, which I usually am (stupid rain).

-Feeling very foolish

Donn Reese
1960 Custom 4dr HDTP