IML: Short Imperial story

While in no way comparable to the recent exploits of John Corey during The Great Race (by the way John, thank you again for your posts), I thought I would share with you a recent vacation trip we made with our two grandsons, and "Babe".

We began the trip in Kansas City, taking two days to arrive in Richmond, VA where we stayed overnight with our daughter and son in law. We had timed our arrival to coincide with
the WPC Nationals in Williamsburg. We picked up our registration and parked in the Imperial line. There were several very nice Imperials including a beautiful Ghia Limo.

From there we drove to see an old friend in the Charlottesville area. My wife and her friend are long time academics and I can tell you they love to talk shop as much as any old car buffs.

The next leg of the trip was along "Skyline Drive", north, paralleling the Appalachian Trail
toward Front Royal. It was one gorgeous view after another. Some of the long continuous climbs of several miles, in 95 degree weather (with the air conditioning on high) caused me to wonder how high the engine temperatures would climb. Not to worry, the needle hardly budged.

We wanted the boys to start to learn about the Civil War and what it meant; to have some idea of the many issues that precipitated the conflict. We visited Gettysburg, York, and Appomattox Courthouse, VA, among others.

Then there was a steam train ride through the Amish country: Bird in Hand, Intercourse, and Paradise.

Of course the focal point of the trip for the boys was two days at Hershey, PA and Hershey Park.

The last two days of the trip with them were spent in Washington, DC, which included touring the Potomac via WW2 amphibious "Duck" and looking out over the city from the top of the Washington Monument.

This was the first time the boys (10 & 11) had been away from their parents for more than 24 hours. They survived several bouts of homesickness and I'm sure home never looked so good!

Including the return trip, we drove a little over 3400 miles, averaged 17.4 mpg overall, ( last year it was 17.8, but that was a trip through Canada when the air conditioning wasn't on full time), added two quarts of oil (but no coolant), lost the generator in Beckley, WV one evening and had it repaired by 9:30 the next morning; all in all pretty uneventful where "Babe" was concerned.

Bottom line: this is a magnificent country, and we have these magnificent Imperials that were built to do just what we did this summer. Many, I know, are unsure of their car's ability to travel long distances, mixing with today's traffic at interstate speeds reliably (we mostly drove 70/75).Ours is just a # 3 driver reasonably maintained and with added seat belts. We never felt that we were in any way pushing the car near its limits. Invariably, where ever you go, people are glad to see them in their true element and so are reminded of their own stories. Given the chance, they can be a passport to great memories.

Gary Kitterman
'56 C-73 "Babe"