RE: IML: more on alternators

> add anything.  I have not
> actually had the pleasure of fixing one of the later
> design alternators yet,
> but I have filed your excellent description for my
> own use, when the need arises.

What's that phrase, "Praise from Caesar"?

Dick, I didn't think you had ever even worked on an
alternator.  Figured they were too new-fangled for
you.    Doesn't one of those Packards have a vacuum
tube regulator?  I'll bet you could design one!

I personally have become a sold-on fan of the newer,
one-wire alternators.  I installed a 100 amp,
Delco-style model on my '67 volvo in place of its 30
amp generator and was stunned at the improvement.  No
more flickering AMP light.  No more varying-brightness
headlights.  No more static in the AM radio.  No more
bird's nest of wiring under the hood to the decrepit
Bosche regulator and that boat-anchor of a gennie.
Cost?  About $70 for the alternator.  Time?  About 2
hours, and a custom-fabricated bracket.  Hookup?  One
4 gauge wire from the alternator to the battery.
That's it.  The alternator self-grounds to the engine
(make sure your engine-body strap is in good shape!)

--Mike Pittinaro

'To Engineer' was never meant to signify poking around with a mouse on a Nintendo-on-steroids computer system.

'It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars'
-- Garrison Keillor